Tulane University Yulman Stadium
The construction of a boutique stadium on Tulane University’s campus has brought Green Wave football back to uptown New Orleans after 40 years of off-campus play. Tulane’s new Yulman Stadium, with a capacity for 30,000 spectators, has created a home-field environment for the team while strengthening the student experience at Tulane.
Woodward Design+Build was selected as the general contractor for Yulman Stadium early on in the design process. Woodward provided crucial preconstruction services, including value analysis, building information modeling, planning around a constrained jobsite and engaging neighbors in preparation for construction.
During construction, Woodward overcame challenges presented by underground obstructions, driving more than 3,800 timber and precast concrete piles for the stadium’s foundation while using BIM to reroute underground utilities. Located just 20 feet from residential backyards and wedged between existing university buildings, Woodward sequenced the work as efficiently as possible, utilizing the field itself as laydown space while building the stadium around it. Woodward also incorporated elements of prefab design to help meet the demanding schedule.
The finished Yulman Stadium was built-out with a number of amenities, including the Glazer Club VIP area featuring 1,500 chair-back seats, two clubrooms with direct field views, a bar and large gathering space. The covered, open-air Westfeldt Terrace also offers 3,000 chair-back seats and premium concessions on the concourse edge.
Work also included tie-ins to existing office buildings, creation of a 60,000-cu-ft stormwater detention system just outside the stadium, installation of a 94-ft by 24-ft LED scoreboard and a top-of-the-line synthetic turf field.
Yulman Stadium not only strengthens Tulane’s athletic program, but also marks a resurgence of college football and local celebration in New Orleans.
CategoryRecreational & Sports Facility Construction
DesignGould Evans Architects
LocationNew Orleans, LA
In the News
- ENR TX and LA Best Sports/Entertainment Project: Tulane University Yulman Stadium
10 Dec 2015
- Yulman Stadium Wins ENR Best Sports/Entertainment Project Award
8 Oct 2015
- Video: Tulane Football Players Tell You What They Like Best About Yulman Stadium
4 Sep 2014
- Contractor Overcomes Challenges on Yulman Stadium
18 Aug 2014
- Video: Go Inside the Construction at Tulane’s Yulman Stadium
15 May 2014
- Tulane’s Yulman Stadium on Schedule for Sept. 6 Opener
25 Feb 2014
- Tulane Stadium Taking Shape
9 Sep 2013
- New Football Stadium Ready to Rise at Tulane
19 Jun 2013
- Construction Underway on Tulane Stadium
19 Apr 2013
- Tulane to name campus facility Yulman Stadium
1 Nov 2012