Seelos Welcome Center

This project consists of the renovation of Redemptorist Building 4 into the Redemptorist Seelos National Shrine Welcome Center. It is named for Father Seelos of the Society of Redemptorists. A native of Germany, Father Seelos served as a Redemptorist Priest in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Maryland before coming to New Orleans in 1866. He died a year later after contracting yellow fever. Father Seelos is much revered for his dedication to not only his congregations but to the sick, destitute and poor.

Woodward Design+Build served as the general contractor for both the adjoining Redemptorist Elderly Apartments and the new Seelos Welcome Center. The building was originally built in 1939 as the School Sisters of Notre Dame Convent. The 3 story building was adapted to to the Shrine’s ministerial needs including exhibit space, orientation theater for visitors, staff offices, a gift shop, archives and a chapel.

Project Information

  • Category
    Religious Facility Construction
  • Owner
    HRI Redemptorist, LLC
  • Design
    Woodward Design Group (John Dalton, AIA)
  • Size
    14,610 Square Feet
  • Budget
    $2,800,000
  • Location
    New Orleans, LA
  • Completion
    June 2008

In the News

Building a Stronger Brand + Web Design by Line 58