Standing at 23 stories and towering 335 feet above the city, the “Hibernia Tower” has been a jewel of the downtown New Orleans skyline since it first opened in 1921. Designed by prominent architecture firm Favrot & Livaudais, the landmark New Orleans property was the city’s first modern skyscraper. It was a cutting edge, state-of-the-art building when it opened. Upon completion, it was the tallest building in the South and held the record for New Orleans’ tallest skyscraper for 43 years. Its most distinctive feature is the tower copula based on an ancient Greek temple that is lit at night, illuminated by special colors for holiday seasons.
The building served as the headquarters of Hibernia National Bank for 65 years. After Capitol One acquired Hibernia in 2005, regional banking headquarters were consolidated to another property. To bring this building back to full use, the team of HRI Properties, Woodward Interests and Woodward Design+Build teamed up to convert the building into a new mixed-use development. This downtown landmark still houses the Capital One branch in the building’s ornate first floor lobby. The rest of the building was converted into office space and 175 apartments, creating a new center for living and working in the heart of the Central Business District.
The building’s apartments were immediately at 100% occupancy after over 1200 applications were received leading up the opening! The project also earned a 2013 Downtown NOLA Award from the Downtown Development District, when it was named Best Downtown Development Project.
CategoryMixed Use Construction
Multi-Family Housing Construction
Owner313 Carondelet Complex, LLC
Size284,000 Square Feet
LocationNew Orleans, LA