Seelos Welcome Center
This project consists of the renovation of Redemptorist Building 4 into the Redemptorist Seelos National Shrine Welcome Center. It is named for Father Seelos of the Society of Redemptorists. A native of Germany, Father Seelos served as a Redemptorist Priest in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Maryland before coming to New Orleans in 1866. He died a year later after contracting yellow fever. Father Seelos is much revered for his dedication to not only his congregations but to the sick, destitute and poor.
Woodward Design+Build served as the general contractor for both the adjoining Redemptorist Elderly Apartments and the new Seelos Welcome Center. The building was originally built in 1939 as the School Sisters of Notre Dame Convent. The 3 story building was adapted to to the Shrine’s ministerial needs including exhibit space, orientation theater for visitors, staff offices, a gift shop, archives and a chapel.
CategoryReligious Facility Construction
OwnerHRI Redemptorist, LLC
DesignWoodward Design Group (John Dalton, AIA)
Size14,610 Square Feet
LocationNew Orleans, LA
In the News
- Seelos Center Almost Open
29 Jun 2009